flag image
Lake Geneva Chiropractic

Fire destroys Fontana home


Three people rescue woman



submitted_fire_4
shadow
Firefighters battled a house fire in the village of Fontana on South Lakeshore Drive.
May 07, 2013 | 03:04 PM
FONTANA — A fire destroyed the home of two Fontana residents Monday, May 6.

Fontana Fire Chief Wolfgang Nitsch said nothing in the house, which is located near the Lake Geneva Yacht Club, is salvageable.

At 2:47 p.m., the fire department was alerted to the fire at 1227 S. Lakeshore Drive.

fire_2
shadow
(click for larger version)
The fire was large enough for the Fontana Fire Department to request help from other departments in the area.

Fontana Police Department Administrative Assistant Barbara Dorsey said firefighters from Linn, Sharon, Darien, Walworth, Delavan, Elkhorn and other departments assisted the Fontana crews.

Nitsch said during a phone interview May 7 that Scott Peterson, an assistant fire chief, was one of the first to arrive at the fire.

"One woman was home at that time," Nitsch said. "He (Peterson), an unidentified citizen and another police officer were able to assist the woman from the home using a ladder that they put up to the balcony."

submitted_fire
shadow
(click for larger version)
Fontana Police Chief Steve Olson said the woman was rescued from the balcony hanging over the driveway.

She was cleared by medical personnel on the scene and stayed near the house while firefighters worked.

The Regional News was unable to contact the woman or Neil Stephens, who also lived in the home.

At the scene, Nitsch said the fire most likely started in the basement, where containers of gasoline, diesel fuel and kerosene were found when firefighters cleared the house.

shadow
shadow
"It's too early to speculate regarding the specific cause of the fire, though," Nitsch said.

Firefighters were at the house for more than six hours.

"We had the fire under control at around 5 p.m.," he said. "We were still there until around 9 p.m. Nothing in the house is salvageable, though the car that was in the garage during the fire was saved."

printPrint
emailEmail
CommentFeedback
shareShare

Tags: Geneva Lake West, Top of page

Comments ()
Community Bank
LAKE GENEVA AREA REALTY
Young Auditorium
Regional News