Tags: Top of page
February 13, 2014 | 04:55 PMELKHORN — When the Walworth County Drug Unit arrested an alleged heroin dealer late last week, there was reportedly someone ready to take his place.
On Feb. 7, the Walworth County Drug Unit arrested Jamaal T. Shellie, 33, of Waukegan, Ill., on seven counts of delivering heroin. Criminal charges were formally filed earlier this week.
Shortly after Shellie's arrest, the drug unit, with the assistance of an undercover officer, purchased heroin from several people in the Lake Geneva and Delavan areas.
"In the following days, after Jamaal Shellie was arrested, a subject took over right away with the same people Jamaal was selling to," according to a press release from the sheriff's department.
The five people were arrested between Feb. 10 and 13.
"As this investigation continues the Walworth County Drug Unit expects more arrests to follow," the press release states.
- Trisha J. Mohr, 34, Lake Geneva, was arrested at a motel in Lake Geneva on two counts of delivering heroin, as party to a crime.
- Matthew Brown, 31, Waukegan, Ill., was arrested in Lake Geneva on two counts of delivering heroin.
- Ernest F. Green, 29, Waukegan, Ill., was arrested in Lake Geneva on one count of delivery of heroin, as a party to a crime and two counts of delivery of cocaine, as a party to a crime.
- Ashley J. Keller, 27, Lake Geneva, was arrested at her home on five counts of delivery of cocaine and one count of delivery of heroin, as a party to a crime.
- Brian W. Zitzler, 33, Lake Geneva, was arrested at his employment on charges of conspiracy to deliver heroin, one count of delivering heroin, as a party to a crime and possession of a schedule III non-narcotic drug.
On Tuesday the Walworth County District Attorney's Office formally filed the seven charges against Shellie.
Click here to read the criminal complaint
According to the criminal complaint against Shellie:
On Jan. 14, a confidential informant was given $120 to purchase heroin from a drug dealer he knew as "Major."
"Major" was later identified as Shellie through the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency administration records. On Jan. 14, the informant purchased 0.74 grams of heroin from Shellie in Lake Geneva.
On Jan. 15, the informant was given $240 to purchase heroin from Christina Lavender. Lavender, 28, Delavan was also arrested last week. She has been formally charged with two felony counts of delivering heroin.
The informant told the drug unit that during the drug sale Lavender was on the phone with Shellie. After the sale, the informant called Shellie, who said his girls were "good."
On Jan. 16, the informant bought 2.17 grams of heroin from Shellie for $240 near the Elkhorn High School. The informant bought $120 of heroin from Shellie on Jan. 21 and $120 of the drug on Jan. 28. Both of those transactions allegedly occurred in the city of Delavan.
On Feb. 4, the drug unit gave the informant $480 and the informant bought 4.22 grams of heroin from Shellie in Lake Geneva. On Feb. 7, the informant was given another $480 and bought 3.8 grams of heroin from Shellie at a hotel in Lake Geneva.
At the hotel, police arrested Jacob L. Crews, who was leaving the hotel room where Shellie was reportedly selling drugs. Crews told police that Shellie sells heroin "all day, all night, seven days a week," at different hotels throughout the area.
Crews, 24, Lake Geneva, has been charged with one count of delivering heroin, as a party to a crime.
In 2005, in Lake County, Ill., Shellie was convicted of manufacturing/delivering cocaine.