flag image
Burlington Chocolate Fest

Update: Man brought back into custody after years on the run

August 12, 2010 | 11:58 AM
Elkhorn — Early one morning in September 2003, men armed with baseball bats, crowbars and a metal rod nearly beat a man to death outside a Delavan home.

When police arrived on the scene, they reported the man appeared to be gurgling on his own blood, according to court documents.

After the gang-related beating, four men were charged with felonies and three have since been sentenced.

The other man allegedly skipped his $5,000 cash bond in August 2004 and has been on the lam ever since. That all changed on Aug. 10 when Jayme A. Manriquez was brought into the Walworth County Jail.

Manriquez, 34, Delavan, was placed on the Walworth County's Most Wanted fugitives list and authorities worked with the U.S. Marshal's Service and other law enforcement to locate him.

In August 2009, Manriquez was arrested by Mexican authorities and after he went through an extradition process and was brought back to the United States.

He is now sitting in the Walworth County Jail and is in custody in lieu of a $500,000 cash bond.

He faces felony charges of first-degree attempted intentional homicide and first-degree reckless injury. He also faces two charges of felony bail jumping.

Public Defender Adam Welch, who represented Manriquez for bond purposes, said Manriquez has lived in the area his entire life.

Three other men have been charged and sentenced in connection with the beating.

n On Oct. 6, 2006, Jose Gomez pleaded guilty to aggravated battery. He was sentenced to eight years in prison and three years of extended supervision.

n On Aug. 20, 2004, Santos J. Moronez, pleaded guilty to a felony charge of aggravated battery, intentional causing great bodily harm. He was sentenced to one-year of jail with work release privileges and 10 years of probation.

n On Aug. 1, 2008 Renato Aranda, pleaded guilty to a felony charge of aggravated battery, intentionally causing great bodily harm. He was sentenced to nine-months in jail with work release privileges and seven years of probation.

According to the 2003 criminal complaint:

On Sept. 21, 2003 at 2:45 a.m. police officers responded to a home on Third Street for a report of a fight in progress. When police arrived they encountered a large group of people and were informed that those involved in the fight had fled the scene.

At 3:06 a.m., police received a report of a fight in progress that involved the use of weapons at the same location. On the scene, they found a man laying on the ground with severe wounds to the right side of his head. The man also had trouble breathing. The man was transported via Flight For Life to Froedert Hospital, Milwaukee.

After the initial incident, witnesses reported seeing three men run over the railroad track holding weapons.

A witness said the attackers were the same people who were at the scene earlier. Another witness identified the attackers as Manriquez and Moronez.

Manriquez told police he and Moronez went to the house and stepped out of the vehicle and were attacked by people at the residence. He said after the two were attacked they left the residence and didn't return.

Moronez told police a similar story.

Comments ()
Walworth County
Regional News