flag image
Young Auditorium

Delavan police, DA to determine charges in standoff

November 03, 2010 | 08:34 AM
Delavan — Of three Delavan men arrested early Sunday, two are still in Walworth County Jail, and one was released on a signature bond, according to the Walworth County Sheriff's Department.

Guadalupe Valadez and Jesse Soto are still being held in jail on probation holds. Jeremy Soto was released on $1,000 signature bond and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Nov. 15, according to a Walworth County corrections officer.

Guadalupe Valadez, 30; Jesus Valadez, 30; and Jeremy Soto, 25 were arrested between 7 and 9 a.m. Sunday. Jesse Soto, 29, Delavan, was detained but not arrested, Delavan Police Chief Timothy O'Neill said.

Police met with the Walworth County District Attorney Tuesday afternoon to determine what charges can be brought against the suspects, according to O'Neill.

The incident started when officers were called at 1:30 a.m. to the corner of Second and Wisconsin streets for a report of shots fired from a vehicle. No one was reported injured from the gunfire, but a car was damaged, O'Neill said..

The three were arrested after a standoff at a three-unit flat at 301 S. 2nd St., Delavan. Two of the men arrested live at that residence, according to a police press release.

Before the standoff ended, SWAT teams from Walworth and Rock counties and the city of Milwaukee were at the scene.

Sometime around 7 a.m. Sunday, 11 children and two or three adults were evacuated from the building. Three nearby churches either cancelled or delayed their Sunday morning services because of the standoff, O'Neill said.

None of the evacuated children or adults were being held against their will, O'Neill said.

Police were first called the scene about 1:30 a.m. Sunday after a report of shots fired near Wisconsin and Second streets, according to a police department press release.

Police learned that suspects involved in the shots fired report were in a nearby house.

They did not come out immediately, despite attempts by police to talk them out via public address and telephone.

However, between 7 and 9 a.m., three of the four did come out on their own. Officers had to go into the building to arrest the fourth.

O'Neill said the decision to not arrest Jesse Soto was based on what charges could be brought against him at the time. He said Soto is still regarded as a suspect in the incident.

Police recovered a firearm from inside the residence after the four were detained, O'Neill said.

The arrests were made by the SWAT teams. The call for additional SWAT teams from Rock County and the city of Milwaukee were made because of the number of women and children in the residence.

Shortly before the call of shots fired, police had been only a block away, responding to two calls, one at 1:15 a.m. on a report of cocaine possession in the alley behind the Sports City Bar at 4th and Wisconsin streets, and another at 1:18 a.m. of a disturbance in front of the bar where at least three fights had broken out among 50 to 70 people in the street.

O'Neill said the cocaine incident was not related to the shots fired complaint, but police are still investigating whether there was a connection between the fights and disturbances near the Sports City Bar.

Delavan police called for and received assistance from village of Darien police and Walworth County Sheriff's Department deputies.

O'Neill said the incident came to a very happy ending, with no one getting hurt.

That's especially true, since the incident took place near the house where a man killed five people before killing himself in June 2007, he said.

Comments ()
Plaza Pharmacy
Ireland's Custom Wood Shop
Regional News