flag image
Form Wealth Management

Fires damage two homes

December 08, 2010 | 09:00 AM
Bloomfield — A Friday morning blaze rendered a home unlivable.

Another one in late November destroyed a garage.

On Monday, Bloomfield-Genoa City Fire Chief Fred Schalow said wood-burning stoves were a factor in both fires.

"This last one was an accident," Schalow said. "He (the homeowner) thought all the embers were out."

He said the call went out at 9:23 a.m. Friday at W153 Tombeau Blvd.

The homeowner, Dante J. Manogura, apparently used his wood-burning stove the night before and had emptied the ashes into a cardboard box placed outside on his deck.

That morning, he noticed the deck was ablaze.

"The homeowner suffered a burn to his hand," Schalow said. "He sustained that injury while he was trying to put the fire out."

According to Schalow, Manogura was treated by EMTs on the scene and didn't seek further medical treatment. However, the one-story, three-bedroom home with an exposed basement sustained smoke and fire damage.

"There was quite a bit of smoke damage in every room on the first floor," Schalow said.

The deck, rear and side of the home were damaged by the fire.

Several area departments assisted Bloomfield-Genoa City firefighters, including those from Lake Geneva, Twin Lakes, Spring Grove and the towns of Linn, Lyons and Wheatland. Paratech also responded.

Garage fire

A wood-burning stove also may have caused a blaze which destroyed a garage Nov. 24 at 2:47 a.m. on W960 Hyacinth Road.

Schalow said a wood-burning stove was in the garage and the property owner, William R. Combs Jr., had been working there earlier that evening. He said Combs told firefighters he used the stove prior to the fire.

"We're not saying 100 percent that it was part of the cause, but we can't rule it out either," Schalow said.

The blaze also damaged the roof and parts of the siding of the Combs residence. No injuries were reported.

Comments ()
Nehlen 315x200 Banner RJT.jpg
Taste of Wisconsin
Regional News