flag image
Form Wealth Management

Chief Dogs barking in RVC

May 18, 2011 | 08:31 AM
Elkhorn — The Big Foot/Williams Bay girls soccer squad demonstrated a flair for the dramatic last weekend at the Elkhorn Invite, and it paid off big time.

The girls won the tournament, going 3-0 with three shootout victories. The girls improved to 12-5-1 overall. Coach Annie Isham had mixed feelings on the day.

"It was very unusual to win all the games by shootout," she said. "It was an exciting day for our goalkeeper Katie Pearce. I'm glad we won, but winning all three by shootout isn't what you want."

In the last game of the day, Big Foot tied 2-2 with Elkhorn before winning the shootout, 4-3. After a 3-3 tie, Pearce came up with a big save. Then, Stephanie Tadje kicked the game-winning goal to win it for the Chief Dogs.

"It was a very exciting win," Isham said.

In regulation, Morgan Sutich scored both goals for Big Foot, both unassisted. Isham said Sutich was faster than Elkhorn's defense, and it was a huge advantage.

The game was tied up, 1-1, at halftime. After Sutich's second-half goal, the Elks came back to tie it at 2-2.

"It was a back-and-forth battle," Isham said. "The girls were a little tired by the third game, and we had three girls out with injuries. We had to do some creative subbing and used a different strategy."

In the second game, Big Foot defeated Franklin in a shootout, 3-2, after ending regulation in a 0-0 game.

"They missed their shots in the shootout, and we made ours," she said. "I'm pleased with how we played as a team. Franklin is a strong, attacking team, and we held them scoreless."

In the opener, Palmyra-Eagle and Big Foot played to a 1-1 tie at the end of regulation before the Chiefs won the shootout, 5-4. Schyler Isham fired the game-winning shot in the shootout. She hasn't missed a shot in a shootout all season, according to Annie Isham.

"I was pleased with the shootout," Annie Isham said. "We made all five shots."

Lindsay Mazur put Big Foot on the board with a goal in the left corner of net in the 15th minute. Normally a defender, Mazur switched to forward for the game. The Panthers came back with a goal in the second half.

"We mixed up our lineup and rested some people because we have to play Palmyra later in the season," Annie Isham said. "Palmyra played well. They are well-coached."

Big Foot returns home to face Palmyra Thursday night. Despite some nagging injuries to key players, Annie Isham is looking forward to remaining undefeated in conference.

"I'm pretty confident we can win," she said. "It won't be easy, but we should be able to beat them."

Cambridge/Deerfield 2, Big Foot 1

On Friday, the Chiefs lost at home in a heartbreaker.

In a 1-1 tie, Cambridge scored on a free kick with 1:20 left in the game for the late victory.

"It was a punch in the gut," Annie Isham said. "Cambridge is a very good team. It was a good back-and-forth game, but we had a really rough night in the midfield."

Sydney Racky opened up the scoring for Big Foot in the 30th minute with a goal off a corner kick in the first half. Cambridge tied the contest at 1-1 by halftime.

Big Foot 5, Clinton 0

On May 10 at Clinton, the Chiefs improved to 5-0 in the Rock Valley South with a blowout win. The girls are currently in first place.

Big Foot tallied three first-half goals. Morgan Sutich opened the scoring off a Schyler Isham assist. Then, Kaity Woelky found the back of the net with help from a Maggie Kivlin assist. Racky scored off a penalty kick to make it 3-0.

In the second half, Mazur scored along with Kivlin off a cross pass from Woelky.

Pearce totaled six saves in the game. Annie Isham called the goalie's performance "flawless."

"It was a great win," she said. "We were able to sub in a lot of people. We played very well in the midfield and had good defense and shooting. Clinton is a weaker team, though."

Comments ()
Regional News