flag image
Lake Geneva Chiropractic

DA won't press charges in drowning

Child left house, entered pool while parents slept

August 03, 2011 | 08:51 AM
Pell Lake — A few weeks ago, 2-year-old Nolan Conley took a nap with his parents.

When they woke up, he was found floating face down in a swimming pool at a Wisconsin Road residence. Three days later, Conley died at Children's Hospital, Wauwatosa.

On Thursday, July 28, Bloomfield Police Chief Steve Cole announced the Walworth County District Attorney's Office decided not to press any charges in the case.

According to the Bloomfield police report, no foul play was suspected. Apparently, Conley left the residence and likely climbed the ladder to the swimming pool while his parents were asleep.

A Bloomfield police officer received the call for a child who fell into a pool and was unconscious while at a different rescue call July 11 at 5:07 p.m. An assisting Genoa City police officer began attempting to revive Conley using CPR at about 5:09 p.m. Police saw the ladder was inside the pool and Conley's clothes were wet. His lips were blue and an officer noted several parts of the boy's body felt "warm to the touch." Authorities applied an oxygen mask and tilted his head back to create an open air way.

The owner of the Wisconsin Road residence told police she left to buy groceries around 4 p.m. Apparently, Conley and his parents took a nap in a basement bedroom. When the homeowner returned, she yelled downstairs for help with groceries. She said she also saw the baby gate was unlatched at the top of the stairs leading to the basement. Conley's father went upstairs and was looking for his son. When he checked the pool, he found him floating in it face down, unconscious. He jumped into the pool, pulled Conley out and applied chest compressions.

The home owner told police Conley must have left the house and climbed up the pool ladder. She also said her son was using the pool earlier that day and left the ladder inside.

Bloomfield-Genoa City rescue personnel also responded to the call. First, Conley was transported to Lakeland Medical Center. Then, he was transferred to Children's Hospital. A Walworth County sheriff's deputy told a Bloomfield officer Conley "had a pulse and was breathing on his own," according to the report.

At about 7 p.m. July 14, Conley was pronounced dead at Children's Hospital. An autopsy occurred the next day.

Bloomfield police began interviewing the home owner, her son and the parents July 19. The home owner told police her son and two friends were in the living room when she left. Conley and his parents were in the basement. She told police it was possible Conley could have left the house using the rear patio door because it had a "pull down, long-handled lever and he could open it very easily."

Her son told police while he was in his bedroom, he heard the baby gate slam shut and the rear patio door slam shut. He said he thought it was Conley's father and "did not think anything of it."

Conley's parents told police they took their son downstairs and they were all taking a nap. The mother also told police Conley was "smart, mobile and could open doors."

Comments ()
Taste of Wisconsin
Regional News