flag image
Nehlen 728x90  Banner RJT.jpg

Darien man pleads guilty to stealing firearm

September 13, 2011 | 03:59 PM
ELKHORN — An 18-year-old Darien Township man who stole a firearm that was later used in a shooting in Walworth Township pleaded guilty Sept. 7 to criminal charges.

Timothy R. Holmes, W7565 Creek Road, pleaded guilty to felony theft of movable property with special facts (because the theft was allegedly of a firearm). A misdemeanor charge of possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under the age of 18 will be dismissed but read into the record.

When Holmes is sentenced Nov. 1 he will face up to six years imprisonment and $20,000 in fines.

On Aug. 5, 2010, Eric Grethe, now 21, of Bloomfield Township, was shot in the back after allegedly attempting to buy marijuana. After the shooting, two suspects were arrested.

The suspects were apprehended after a search, which required the help of Walworth County Canine Teams, air support and grid searching by foot patrols.

Nathan N. Williams, 29, of Delavan, faces felony charges of possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, armed robbery, first-degree reckless injury and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

He is scheduled for a Nov. 28 jury trial.

Corey D. Moore-Morrison, 19, of Janesville, pleaded guilty June 1 to felony charges of robbery with the use of force and possession of marijuana with intent to deliver.

When he is sentenced Sept. 23, he faces up to 18-1/2 years imprisonment.

According to the criminal complaint for Holmes:

On Aug. 16, Holmes' stepfather reported that his handgun had been missing and suspected Holmes of stealing it. The man kept his gun in a bedroom dresser drawer.

He said he didn't believe anyone had gone through his belongings, but said his stepson was aware that he owned a firearm.

On Sept. 29, police spoke to Holmes and he said Moore-Morrison had stolen the firearm. He said after Moore-Morrison stole the firearm the two went to Williams' home.

Holmes said Moore-Morrison stole the weapon after July 4, but before the start of school.

Court records indicate Moore-Morrison was incarcerated from July 4 to July 22 and returned to jail August 5.

Moore-Morrison told police he picked Holmes up for a party and on the way to the party Holmes showed him the firearm.

Holmes told police he handled the firearm two or three times at Williams' residence.

According to the criminal complaint on the shooting:

Grethe told police he contacted Moore-Morrison to purchase an eighth of an ounce of marijuana.

He was told to meet him at the Show Palace parking lot.

At the Show Palace, Moore-Morrison entered Grethe's vehicle and Williams followed in his car. Grethe stopped the vehicle on Doris Street and Williams entered his car.

In the car, Williams showed Grethe the marijuana and Grethe pulled out money. Williams then pointed a gun at Grethe and said, "Do you know what time it is?"

Originally, Williams pointed the weapon at Grethe's head, but Grethe pushed Williams arm down. The weapon was then fired two or three times.

During the struggle, Williams told Grethe "Give me the (expletive) money or I'm going to shoot you in the face."

Both Williams and Grethe exited the vehicle, which rolled toward Williams forcing him into the bushes.

Moore-Moorison and Williams left the scene and Grethe chased after them before collapsing.

During the struggle between Grethe and Williams, Moore-Moorison said he reached into the car and took the money for the drug sale.

After the shooting, $900 was located in a driveway by a nearby residence and $500 was located on Williams.

Williams was located inside of a home near the shooting. He told police he entered the home to "steal stuff."


Tags: Crime

Comments ()
Taste of Wisconsin
Nehlen 315x200 Banner RJT.jpg
Regional News