Source: Lake Geneva Regional News

Man receives probation for stealing firearm
Weapon part of shooting in Walworth Township

by Rob Ireland

November 03, 2011

Elkhorn — An 18-year-old Darien Township man who allegedly stole a firearm that was later used in a shooting in Walworth Township was sentenced Nov. 1 to three years of probation.

As a condition of probation, Timothy R. Holmes, W7565 Creek Road, will have to serve 90 days in jail with work release privileges. His probation agent can reduce the term of his probation to two years.

Holmes pleaded guilty Sept. 7 to a felony charge of theft of movable property with special facts.

On Aug. 5, Eric Grethe, now 20, of Bloomfield Township, was shot in the back after allegedly attempting to buy marijuana. After the shooting, two suspects were arrested.

The suspects were apprehended after a search, which required the help of Walworth County Canine Teams, air support and grid searching by foot patrols.

Nathan N. Williams, 29, of Delavan, faces felony charges of possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, armed robbery, first-degree reckless injury and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

He is scheduled for a Nov. 28 jury trial.

Corey D. Moore-Morrison, 19, of Janesville, was sentenced Sept. 23 to five years in a state prison for his role in the shooting.

According to the criminal complaint for Holmes:

On Aug. 16, Holmes’ stepfather reported that his handgun had been missing and suspected Holmes of stealing it. The man kept his gun in a bedroom dresser drawer.

He said he didn’t believe anyone had gone through his belongings, but said his stepson was aware that he owned a firearm.

On Sept. 29, police spoke to Holmes and he said Moore-Morrison had stolen the firearm. He said after Moore-Morrison stole the firearm the two went to Williams’ home.

Holmes said Moore-Morrison stole the weapon after July 4, but before the start of school. Court records indicate Moore-Morrison was incarcerated from July 4 to July 22 and returned to jail August 5.

Moore-Morrison told police he picked Holmes up for a party and on the way to the party Holmes showed him the firearm.

Holmes told police he handled the firearm two or three times at Williams’ residence.

According to the criminal complaint:

Grethe told police he contacted Moore-Morrison to purchase an eighth of an ounce of marijuana.

He was told to meet him at the Show Palace parking lot.

At the Show Palace, Moore-Morrison entered Grethe’s vehicle and Williams followed in his car. Grethe stopped the vehicle on Doris Street and Williams entered his car.

In the car, Williams showed Grethe the marijuana and Grethe pulled out money. Williams then pointed a gun at Grethe and said, “Do you know what time it is?”

Originally, Williams pointed the weapon at Grethe’s head, but Grethe pushed Williams arm down. The weapon was then fired two or three times.

During the struggle, Williams told Grethe “Give me the (expletive) money or I’m going to shoot you in the face.” Both Williams and Grethe exited the vehicle, which rolled toward Williams forcing him into the bushes.

Moore-Moorison and Williams left the scene and Grethe chased after them before collapsing.

Moore-Moorison told police Grethe sent him a text message asking if he could purchase a half-pound of marijuana for $1,500. Moore-Moorison told police he suspected Williams was not going to sell Grethe marijuana, but was going to steal his money.

During a struggle between Grethe and Williams, Moore-Moorison said he reached into the car and took the money for the drug sale.