Source: Lake Geneva Regional News

UPDATED: Bomb threats and bank robbery

by Rob Ireland

August 23, 2012

A town of Sugar Creek bank was robbed while police were investigating bomb threats in the Lake Geneva area.

Lake Geneva police are investigating who called in the bomb threats made Aug. 24 around lunch time to The Cove of Lake Geneva and Sprecher’s Restaurant.

The Walworth County Dispatch received a call from a male subject who claimed that there was bomb at the Grand Geneva Resort and at the The Cove. Sprecher's Restaurant is located in the same building as The Cove.

The People's Bank North, located in the town of Sugar Creek, was robbed while law enforcement responded to the bomb threats.

A press release issued Saturday from the Walworth County Sheriff's Department states that an employee called 911 reporting the bank had just been robbed by a man brandishing a handgun. The employee gave a complete description of the man.

Minutes later, a Wisconsin State Trooper located a vehicle matching the description and attempted to stop it.

That vehicle fled and the trooper chased it at speeds reaching 80 mph.

During the chase, a Walworth County Sheriff's deputy deployed stop sticks. The driver then allegedly swerved to miss the stop sticks and drove toward the officer.

The officer fired his service weapon at the driver. The driver was injured when shot by the deputy.

The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department is investigating the officer involved shooting and the bank robbery is being investigated by the FBI.

The Walworth County Sheriff’s Department is also investigating the bomb threat at the Grand Geneva, but the Regional News was unable to reach a spokesperson from the department late Friday afternoon.

In regards to the bomb threat in Lake Geneva, according to a press release from the city of Lake Geneva Police Department, the police department and Lake Geneva Fire Department searched the building for suspicious packages and did not locate anything.

Lake Geneva Police Chief Michael Rasmussen said the hotel and restaurant choose to have the building evacuated, and that it wasn’t required by the department. Patrons of both establishments waited outside of the building, primarily in Flat Iron Park, while the site was searched.

Considering the restaurant was busy, the threat was made Friday afternoon around lunchtime, Rasmussen said the evacuation went as “smoothly as it could.”

Read next week’s Regional News for more on this story.