Source: Lake Geneva Regional News

Woman gets jail, probation for role in home invasion

December 26, 2013

A 26-year-old Delavan woman will spend time on probation in jail for her role in a violent home invasion in which a man was beaten and stabbed.

Miranda Decker pleaded guilty Oct. 15 to felony false imprisonment.

Felony charges of first-degree recklessly endangering safety and strangulation were dismissed but read into the record.

On Dec. 12, Decker was sentenced to three years of probation. A condition of her probation includes spending nine months in jail with work-release privileges.

Decker could have her record expundged if she completes her probation with no violations.

Three other people face criminal charges in connection with the attack.

Stephanie N. Vierck, 26, Delavan, is scheduled for a plea and sentencing hearing on Jan. 3.

Vierck was scheduled for a plea and sentencing hearing on Dec. 6, but the victim in the case raised concerns that he hadnít had enough of a chance to object to the proposed agreement.

Vierckís agreement would have placed her on probation, but she wouldnít have been required to spend time in jail. Her attorney, David Danz, said Vierck had previously agreed to testify against the other defendants, which is why she was receiving that agreement.

Daylan Love, 25, plead guilty in September to felony false imprisonment. When he is sentenced Jan. 30, he faces up to six years in prison and $10,000 in fines.

Steven C. Spencer, 32, plead guilty Dec. 4 to a felony charge of false imprisonment and strangulation and suffocation.

When he is sentenced March 6, Spencer faces up to 12 years imprisonment and $20,000 in fines.

According to the criminal complaint:

On Dec. 10, the city of Delavan Police Department went to a home on Fourth Street for a battery complaint.

The victim told police he had been stabbed and beaten by Love and Spencer.

The victimís girlfriend said she, the victim and her two children were asleep when they heard someone breaking into the home. The victim went downstairs and then told his girlfriend to dial 911.

The woman went downstairs to use the phone but was restrained by Vierck and Decker. Decker said the victim was getting what he deserved.

The woman said she saw Love and Spencer kicking and punching the victim, who was on the floor.

The victim and the woman escaped through a window and ran from the residence.

Three days after the attack, police interviewed the victim.

The victim said Love punched and kneed him, and Spencer choked him until he thought he would lose consciousness or die.

The victim said he felt Spencer reach toward his abdomen and felt a scratching followed by a heat sensation.

The victimís girlfriend said she saw either Love or Spencer handling a knife.

The surgeon at Mercy-Janesville who treated the victim said he had a 5-centimeter-deep wound in his abdomen area and the victimís stomach was penetrated.

When the victim could no longer fight back, Love sat on his back while Spencer used tape to bind his wrists.

Decker and Vierck kicked and spat at him as he laid on the floor.

Police spoke with Vierck, Decker and Love. Decker said the four of them went to the manís residence to ďscareĒ him.

Love admitted to attacking the victim with Spencer. Love told police that he was sorry for the attack and agreed that things got out of hand.

Initially, Vierck told police she had not seen Love on the day of the attack.

She also told police that Spencer was at her home with her children during the attack.

However, she later admitted she was with Love, Decker and Spencer at the victimís home the night of the attack.